The World of Recycling is Changing
Recycling is at risk. And we need your help. Waste Management collects hundreds of tons of recycling material every day in communities. Unfortunately, a higher percentage of non-recyclable materials are being found in recycling. That often happens by mistake, or due to lack of information. Current recycling markets are requiring clean, quality materials with virtually no contamination. With proper education and decision making, we can make a difference and ensure recycling is sustainable for generations to come.
Some of the most common contaminates that are found in the recycling stream include:
- Plastic bags, which often may be returned to retailers, are NOT accepted in single stream recycling.
- Pizza boxes, which contain residual grease, cheese or other toppings. Don’t include food-soiled items and liquids – they can turn an entire load of recycling into trash.
- Bubble wrap and shrink wrap cause damage, down-time and costly repairs to recycling equipment.
- Electric cords, string/rope material, rubber and plastic hose, clothing. These items are called “tanglers” and can shut down an entire recycling plant!
- Propane tanks, batteries, and electronic waste can start fires at the recycling plant.
- Medical equipment and devices of any kind, such as needles, tubing and gloves. They can cause injury to workers.
To learn more information about recycling, please visit www.recycleoftenrecyleright.com.
Help us Recycle Often. Recycle Right. ®