The Village of Maple Park is encouraging residents, in light of COVID-19, to be safe while they celebrate Halloween. Based on the CDC’s guidelines, traditional Trick-or-Treating is a high-risk activity, and the Village is not recommending the traditional Trick-or-Treat or Trunk-or-Treat for this year. Here are a few alternatives to the traditional Trick-or-Treat:
- Watch the Halloween golf cart parade on Saturday, October 10, 2020. The parade begins at 6:30p.m. Here’s a map of the parade route 2020 Golf Cart Route; or
- Participate in on-way trick-or-treating where individually wrapped goodie bags* are lined up for families to grab while social distancing (treat it like an Easter egg hunt and have them out on the lawn or hang them on a line with clothespins at child height.)
*When preparing treat bags be sure to wash your hands, before and after preparing the treat bags, with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Trick-or-treat will be between the hours 4:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. on Saturday, October 31, 2020.
- Turn on your porch light or outdoor lights to show that your home is welcoming trick-or-treaters.
- Consider using motion-activated devices to alert you that trick-or-treaters are at the door rather than ring the doorbell, if not the doorbell becomes a high touch-point.
- Remember, face masks must be worn by all participants over the age of two (2); costume masks do not count as COVID protection.
- If you prefer to answer the door to greet children, pass out candy individually rather than having children take from a communal bowl.
- Candy distributors should also be wearing face masks and be utilizing hand sanitizer throughout the night.
- Candy distributors should also mark a line using chalk and ask the trick-or-treaters to stay behind the line before you distribute the candy.
- Trick-or-treaters should also be utilizing hand sanitizer throughout the night.
- Please maintain social distancing between trick-or-treat groups, do not approach a house until the prior groups has left.
- Please do not go to a house that does not have its lights on.
- Please refrain from distributing coin or cash.
- Please do not distribute homemade treats or fresh fruit.