Search Results for – "Trick or Treat"

Water System Update

This week, the Village’s contractor completed the installation of the valves in the water treatment plant.  Immediately upon installation of the first two (2) valves, a great deal of pressure was released from the system. Knowing that the older valves, that were no longer working as they had in the past, were replaced and an additional valve was installed would release pressure built up in the system, the Village still believes that the cloudiness may also be triggered by the swings in temperature the Midwest has been experiencing over the last several months.

The Village would like to ensure its residents that the Village continues to test our water and it continues to meet Illinois Environmental Protection Agency (IEPA) standards and is safe to drink.  The Village completes testing as required by the IEPA monthly, quarterly, yearly and every three (3) years for the water treatment facility, our wells, and a couple of locations outside of the facility.  If any of these tests were not within IEPA standards the Village would receive a Notice of Violation.  The IEPA requires that a Notice of Violation be posted on the Village’s website and we would also post a copy at the Village Hall.  The IEPA would then request immediate remediation of the identified violation and would remediate any violations as quickly as possible.  Also, the Village, as required by law, posts its Annual Water Quality Report in June, you can locate the 2019 Water Quality Report at the link below.

Maple Park CCR 2019

Update on the Village’s Water System

As you know, the Village has already replaced valves and installed an additional valve at the water treatment facility.  This did not alleviate the cloudy water/excess oxygen in the water; however, it did replace valves that were not functioning properly and did need to be replaced.  We have continued to look further into our system to determine the cause of the excess air that generates the cloudiness in the water.

The Village has two (2) wells.  Well #4 was installed in 1983 and was replaced in 2003.  Well #5 was installed in 2003.  The Village has had a contractor pull and evaluate the pumps, column pipe and check valves for Well #4.  The Village is currently operating on Well #5.

As part of the evaluation, Well #4 has also been televised and the Village will receive and review the video and have it for future reference.  Per our contractor, the well hole appears to be in good shape; however, the evaluation of the existing equipment has determined that the pumps, bowl, several sections of column pipe and the check valves need to be replaced. The contract believes that the holes in the column pipe are creating a back drain situation which is what is generating the excess oxygen in the system.  The Village Board authorized the repairs to Well #4 at the January 19, 2021 Committee of the Whole Meeting.  The Village’s contractor, has all but one part in stock and has confirmation that the lone part will be shipped next week.  Once the part is received, the well will be reassembled, the well will be disinfected and tested, and then brought back on-line.

Knowing that Well #5 is the same age as Well #4 and is a deeper well, that the evaluation and equipment replacement is expensive, the Village will budget to have the same evaluation procedure and repairs made to the Well #5 after May 1, 2021.  May 1 begins the new fiscal (budget) year for the Village.

How is the Village paying for these repairs? The Village will be using the Water Improvement Fund; these funds, per Village Code, are paid by you when you pay your water bill.  The Village recently adopted a Capital Improvement Plan/Maintenance Plan (CIP/MP), and both Well #4 and Well #5 will be added to the CIP so that they are regularly scheduled for evaluation and preventative maintenance every 10 years, which should prevent this type of situation from transpiring again in the future.

The water is safe to drink and the Village continues to have the water tested daily, monthly, quarterly, and every third year as required by the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency (IEPA.)

Cloudy Water in Your Home?

The Village is aware of recent complaints of “cloudy” drinking water. This is likely due to air being trapped in the system and is a temporary condition. The water treatment plant has currently two (2) older air release valves,-the Village is the process of replacing these values and is adding an additional air release valve to further alleviate the issue. The process to replace the valve may take up to four (4) weeks depending on the availability of the valves.  The Village has the water tested by an IEPA approved laboratory and the required daily chlorine residual testing and the monthly coliform (bacteria) testing; all our water tests have come back well within IEPA safe drinking water parameters.

The Village will keep residents informed of the progress of valve replacement/installation.  If you have any questions or concerns please contact the Village at 815-827-3309.