Kane County is gearing up for its biggest recycling event of the year — the 2019 Recycling Extravaganza — set to take place from 8 a.m. to noon Saturday, July 13.
There are a ton of recycling opportunities this year, and a few changes from previous years, so be sure to read the rest of this article.
The extravaganza includes recycling for batteries, books, bikes, clothes, electronics, flourescent lamps, Styrofoam and paint.
New this year is the opportunity to recycle scrap metal — aluminum, copper, brass, insulated wire, cast iron, steel and other metals.
Please see the EVENT POSTER for more details, and please read below information to make the most of your event experience!
One important reminder is that this event DOES NOT include shredding, which has been the case in previous years. That said, confidential document shredding will be available at Kane County’s Aug. 10 and Sept. 14 recycling events.
4 Tips For The Optimal Experience
- Please arrive between the hours of 8 a.m. and 11:45 a.m. for optimal service. Please do not arrive early, as it creates a pile up before the event even begins.
- It is recommended that you approach on the North-bound side of Randall, coming up from IL Route 38 toward IL Route 64, so that you can easily turn right, into the event at the Kane County Traffic Court building. If you approach on the southbound side of Randall, you may have difficulty turning left into the event site across the oncoming traffic, and the lineup creates a traffic flow problem on Randall.
- Please check out this MAP of the event to see the order in which things will be unloaded so that you can pack your car accordingly. This helps us to serve you more efficiently.
- Stop into Colonial Café for brunch after recycling!
Unloaded In This Order – MAP
- Latex paint
- Scrap Metal, 4-foot fluorescent tubes, Batteries, Styrofoam, Bikes, Helmets, Clothes, Shoes (all unloaded at the last stop)
Items You Can Recycle
- Batteries: Alkaline batteries — AA, AAA, C, D, 9V & button batteries; Vehicle – car, truck, motorcycle, power sport
- Books: any age any condition, hard or soft cover
- Bikes in working order or in need of minor repairs, helmets, bike baskets
- Clothes, linens, curtains, paired shoes, hats, ties, belts, purses, backpacks, stuffed animals, plush toys
- Electronics: TVs and Computer Monitors have a recycling fee; see below under “costs.” All other electronic items are free to drop off. Click here for the full list.
- Fluorescent Lamps (4 foot tubes)
- Foam: Styrofoam #6 blocks and food service foam (NO packing peanuts)
- Paint: Latex and Oil Paint have a recycling fee; see below under Costs. Please note that oil-based paints can be taken to Naperville HHW facility for free.
- Scrap Metal (NEW in 2019): aluminum, copper, brass, insulated wire, cast iron, steel, other metals
Items You Can NOT Recycle
- TVs and Computer Monitors have a recycling fee paid directly to the non-profit recycler. The fee is $25 for screens under 21 inches, measured diagonally across the screen, or $35 for screens 21 inches or more, payable by the resident with cash or card.
- Paint has a recycling fee per container, payable by the resident with cash or check. Latex is $3 per gallon, oil is $8 per gallon.
Contact Kane County Recycling Coordinator Jennifer Jarland at 630-208-3841 or email@example.com.